1/2 Photos of Lemon Mousse Cake
Carrie Ann's Note:
I got this dessert recipe from my sister who has a catering business and this is one of her best sellers. It makes a spectacular finale to a special meal.It's a lightly lemon flavoured cake filled and frosted with a tangy lemon mousse and topped with sweetened lemon slices and fresh raspberries.Don't let the length of the recipe intimidate you, the steps can be divided over a couple of day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml butter
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 3 eggs
- 14.78 ml grated fresh lemon rind
- 414.03 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 236.59 ml milk
- 1Bring sugar and water to a boil in saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- 2Add lemons;return just to boil.
- 3Pour lemons and syrup into bowl, and let stand at least 2 hours or up to 6 hours.
- 4Grease 9" spring form pan; line bottom with parchment or wax paper.
- 5Beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- 6Beat in eggs, one at a time, and lemon rind.
- 7Combine dry ingredients together and add to butter mixture alternately with milk making 3 additions of flour and 2 of milk.
- 8Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- 9Cool completely.
- 11Bring sugar, lemon rind and juice to boil.
- 12In a bowl beat eggs; pour in hot lemon mixture and mix well.
- 13Pour back into pan and bring to just a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- 14Cook and stir constantly for 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- 15Scrape into a bowl.
- 16Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in small saucepan; let stand 5 minutes.
- 17Heat over low heat until dissolved; stir into lemon mixture, mixing well.
- 18Place plastic wrap on surface of mousse and let cool, stirring once, gently,for 30 minutes or until no longer warm.
- 19In another bowl, whip cream and fold into lemon mixture.
- 21Line 10" spring form pan (I use the same pan for baking the cake and assembling) with enough plastic wrap to leave overhang to cover top.
- 22Arrange lemon slices over bottom of pan, reserving syrup.
- 23Spoon half of mousse over lemons.
- 24Cut cake in half and brush cut sides with 3/4 cup reserved lemon syrup.
- 25Place one cake layer over mousse, cut side up.
- 26Spoon remaining mousse over cake.
- 27Place second cake layer over mousse, cut side down, and press to surround cake with mousse.
- 28Cover with plastic wrap and place on tray to catch any leaks.
- 29Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or up to three days.
- 30Uncover cake and invert gently onto plate, remove plastic wrap and smooth sides if necessary with metal spatula.
- 31Garnish with fresh raspberries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Mousse Cake
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.3
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 175.8 mg
- Sodium 241.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 46.5 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: