Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
One of the most popular desserts at Dessert Tasting Membership Tea.
- 3 lemons
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup Grand Marnier
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- toasted slivered almonds
- Grate rind and juice lemons.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar until mixture is light colored and forms a ribbon when dropped from a spoon.
- Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water.
- Place in double boiler.
- In a large bowl, combine corn starch with 1/3 of the lemon juice, rinds and gelatin mixture. Stir well.
- Add to beaten egg mixture. Turn mixture into a double boiler and cook over hot water until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
- Add half of the Grand Marnier and cook one minute longer. Do not allow to boil. Chill mixture until it begins to set.
- Whip cream with remaining Grand Marnier and sugar. Beat whites until stiff, but not dry.
- Fold cream and egg whites into lemon mixture and spoon into a souffle dish. Garnish with almonds. Refrigerate.