Recipe by Whisper
I used to love when my mom would bake molasses cookies. The house always smelled so good! These cookies have a slight lemony flavor to them, making them a bit different from your usual molasses cookies. I think you'll like them. (Prep time does not include chilling time.)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together flour, ginger, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.
- Add molasses, egg, and extract; beat well.
- Stir in flour mixture until well blended.
- Wrap airtight.
- Chill overnight or at least 2 hours until firm enough to roll.
- Cut dough in thirds; roll out each third (keeping remainder in refrigerator) on lightly floured pastry cloth or other surface about 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut into shapes with cookie cutters.
- With spatula, transfer to lightly greased baking sheet, keeping cookies 1/4-inch apart.
- Repeat with remainder of dough and scraps.
- Bake in preheated 375 F oven for 6-7 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove to racks to cool.
- Frost when cool.
- Store airtight in cool place.
- (Can be used for Christmas ornaments by making a small hole near the top of each cookie with a toothpick before baking.).