Recipe by Manami
This recipe comes from the phenomenal bestselling cookbook, "Kosher By Design", Artscroll Publications. This is a fabulous Passover dessert! All three parts of the recipe can be made up to 3 days in advance. I didn't allow for cooling time.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, super-fine if possible
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup potato starch
- 2 cups water
- 3 lemons, juice of (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipping cream
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 6 hazelnuts or 6 cashews
Directions See How It's Made
- Allow the egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- If you are short on time, place the egg whites in a stainless steel bowl and set it in a bowl of warm water for 2 minutes to bring the whites to room temperature quickly.
- Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to the lowest possible temperature, 140ºF-175ºF.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a mixer.
- With the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites with the salt about 5 minutes or until soft peaks form; the tips will curl.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating on high until stiff peaks form; the tips will stand straight and sugar will be dissolved.
- Fold in vanilla and almond extracts.
- Evenly spread the meringues into 12 circles.
- Flatten slightly so they have a diameter of about 3"to4" circles.
- Place the two baking sheets in the oven for 4 hours.
- When they are done, remove from the parchment; if the bottoms are sticky in the center, return them to the oven for longer.
- You want them completely dried out but not browned.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- When completely cool, place in an airtight covered container.
- Store at room temperature for up to three days.
- LEMON CREAM:.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and potato starch.
- Whisk in the water, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, stir the egg yolks with a fork.
- Add a spoonful of the lemon cream to the eggs.
- Slowly stir the egg mixture into the lemon cream.
- Continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Cover the top of the filling with plastic wrap, making sure it touches the cream or a skin will form.
- Cool to room temperature or refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days in advance.
- In a large bowl, with mixer at a high speed, whip the whipping cream.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold in 3/4 of the whipped cream into the lemon cream.
- Reserve rest of whipped cream for dollop on top.
- Over a double boiler or in a microwave, melt the chocolate with the margarine.
- Roll each nut in the chocolate and gently remove with a fork to a sheet of wax paper.
- Let stand until chocolate is set and shiny; can be put in refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container until ready for use.
- HOW TO ASSEMBLE:.
- Spread half the meringues with lemon cream.
- Top with remaining meringues.
- Place a small dollop of whipped cream on the top of each "sandwich" and top with a chocolate dipped hazelnut or cashew.
- Serve immediately.