4 hrs 45 mins
This recipe comes from the phenomenal bestselling cookbook, "Kosher By Design", Artscroll Publications. This is a fabulous Passover dessert! All three parts of the recipe can be made up to 3 days in advance. I didn't allow for cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup sugar, super-fine if possible
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 2 cups water
- 3 lemons, juice of (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipping cream
- 2Allow the egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 3If you are short on time, place the egg whites in a stainless steel bowl and set it in a bowl of warm water for 2 minutes to bring the whites to room temperature quickly.
- 4Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 5Preheat oven to the lowest possible temperature, 140ºF-175ºF.
- 6Place the egg whites in the bowl of a mixer.
- 7With the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites with the salt about 5 minutes or until soft peaks form; the tips will curl.
- 8Gradually add the sugar, beating on high until stiff peaks form; the tips will stand straight and sugar will be dissolved.
- 9Fold in vanilla and almond extracts.
- 10Evenly spread the meringues into 12 circles.
- 11Flatten slightly so they have a diameter of about 3"to4" circles.
- 12Place the two baking sheets in the oven for 4 hours.
- 13When they are done, remove from the parchment; if the bottoms are sticky in the center, return them to the oven for longer.
- 14You want them completely dried out but not browned.
- 15Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 16When completely cool, place in an airtight covered container.
- 17Store at room temperature for up to three days.
- 18LEMON CREAM:.
- 19In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and potato starch.
- 20Whisk in the water, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 21Boil for 1 minute.
- 22Remove from heat.
- 23Stir in lemon juice.
- 24In a small bowl, stir the egg yolks with a fork.
- 25Add a spoonful of the lemon cream to the eggs.
- 26Slowly stir the egg mixture into the lemon cream.
- 27Continue to cook for 1 minute.
- 28Remove from heat.
- 29Cool for 15 minutes.
- 30Cover the top of the filling with plastic wrap, making sure it touches the cream or a skin will form.
- 31Cool to room temperature or refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days in advance.
- 32In a large bowl, with mixer at a high speed, whip the whipping cream.
- 33With a rubber spatula, gently fold in 3/4 of the whipped cream into the lemon cream.
- 34Reserve rest of whipped cream for dollop on top.
- 36Over a double boiler or in a microwave, melt the chocolate with the margarine.
- 37Roll each nut in the chocolate and gently remove with a fork to a sheet of wax paper.
- 38Let stand until chocolate is set and shiny; can be put in refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- 39Store in an airtight container until ready for use.
- 40HOW TO ASSEMBLE:.
- 41Spread half the meringues with lemon cream.
- 42Top with remaining meringues.
- 43Place a small dollop of whipped cream on the top of each "sandwich" and top with a chocolate dipped hazelnut or cashew.
- 44Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Meringues
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.7
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 146.1 mg
- Sodium 78.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 67.8 g
- Protein 5.1 g