Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lemon Meringue tart to die for,my grandmother has made this tart for the last 70 years she still makes it she is 92 years old now, all her grandchildren have been given a copy of this recipe. I love making this lemon meringue tart as it is very easy to make, it delectable. I use one packet 200g of tennis biscuits these contain coconut, use any type of biscuit, crush them fine for the base the only biscuit that cannot be used is ginger. The cooking time does not include the standing time,when baking this tart in the afternoon the oven must be turned off the tart must be left in the oven with the door closed until the next day. When baking this tart early in the morning the oven must be turned off the tart must be left in the oven with the door closed until that evening.
- Preheat oven to 120C (250F).
- Biscuit base.
- Crush biscuits, melt butter, add crush biscuits to melted butter mix crushed biscuits and butter together to combine, press mixture into a fluted pie dish, store in the refrigerator while making the filling.
- Separate the eggs,.
- Beat the egg yolk until light and creamy, add the condense milk mix well, slowly add the lemon juice a little at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Remove the biscuit base from the refrigerator, pour the filling into the biscuit base, set aside.
- Beat egg whites, add caster sugar slowly, beat well until stiff peaks are formed.
- Pipe rosettes of the meringue ontop of the filling making sure that the filling is completely cover with the meringue.
- Bake for one hour, turn the oven off and leave the tart in the oven overnight.
- The tart must only come out of the oven the follow morning, then it is ready to serve.
- Store tart in refrigerator.
Delicious tart and quite tart too. Perfect for those of us who love lemon desserts. I had to use 5 eggs because it was all I had. I also used half vanilla wafers and half honey graham crackers also because it was all I had. The crust was my favorite part. Everyone went back for seconds of this one! Thank you JeanineD. Made for Pac 09