Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Johanne Killeen, Al Forno.
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons ice water (or more)
- 1 large lemon, cut into 1/16 inch thick slices,each slice quartered,seeds removed
- 3 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- For curd: Combine lemon juice, sugar, cream and yolks in small saucepan and whisk to combine; cook over medium-low heat until mixture thickens, stirring constantly, about 7 minutes; immediately transfer to bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface to prevent skin from forming; chill until cold, at least 2 hours.
- For crust: Combine flour, 2 tblsps sugar and salt in processor; add chilled butter and process using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal; gradually add 3 tblsps ice water and blend using on/off turns until mixture forms moist clumps; if dough is too dry, add more water by teaspoonfuls; gather dough into ball; flatten into 8-inch disk; wrap in plastic; chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450F; roll out dough on lightly-floured surface to 12-inch round; Transfer to large baking sheet; sprinkle dough with 2 tblsps sugar; place lemon pieces on dough, leaving 1 ½ inch border; sprinkle 2 tblsps sugar over lemon pieces; fold dough border in over lemon pieces; press edges lightly to seal; bake until crust is golden, piercing through lemon pieces with toothpick if crust bubbles, about 25 minutes; cool tart completely; (Can be made 4 hours ahead).
- For meringue: Preheat oven to 450F; beat egg whites in medium bowl until soft peaks form; add sugar and beat until mixture is stiff but not dry.
- Spread lemon curd over lemon pieces, covering completely; spread meringue over, covering curd completely and sealing to crust edges; bake until meringue is golden, about 5 minutes; transfer tart to platter.
This is excellent, I used a biscuit base that I always use, less work and this recipe came out beautifull. Evelyn have you made a Lemon Meringue tart with condense milk? I normally use the one I have using condense milk and a biscuit crust, quick and easy. Your recipe I find is great, my guests enjoyed it Thank you
This is very good! I used my own butter pastry recipe##66929 for this. I did have to add in more fresh lemon juice to the curd. Thanks Evelyn my lemon-loving DH will enjoy this...Kitten:)