Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This recipe takes Grandma's lemon meringue pie one step further by dressing it up in a fluted tart pan and piping the meringue over the top in a pretty pattern.It's a sophisticated update of a classic! Originally from an April 1984 issue of Bon Apetit that featured Light and Refreshing Lemon Desserts.Refrigeration time not included in prep time.
Sweet Crust Pastry
- 1 1⁄2 cups pastry flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-size pieces, room temperature (1 stick)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
Directions See How It's Made
- For Pastry.
- Sift flour onto work surface and make a well in center.
- Mix sugar, yolks, vanilla and salt in well using fingertips until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Pound butter with rolling pin to soften, break into pieces and work into sugar mixture using fingertips.
- Using pastry cutter or dough scraper, cut flour into sugar mixture until well blended; gather into a ball.
- With heel of hand, push small pieces of dough down on surface away from you to blend butter and flour thoroughly; gather into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to thickness of 1/8 inch.
- Fit into 9 1/2-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Trim edges, cover with plastic and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly butter foil cut to fit bottom of tart pan;set buttered side down in tart pan.
- Fill shell with dried beans or pie weights.
- Bake until pastry is set, about 15 minutes.
- Remove weights and foil.
- Return to oven and bake until brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- For Filling.
- Whisk sugar, lemon juice, eggs,yolks and peel in top of nonaluminum double boiler set over boiling water until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes; do not let boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time,completely incorporating each before adding next.
- (Can be prepared up to 2 weeks ahead,covered and refrigerated).
- Pour filling into crust and cool to room temperature.
- For Meringue.
- Preheat broiler.
- Whisk sugar and whites set in stainless steel bowl set over saucepan of boiling water until slowly dissolving ribbon forms when whisk is lifted, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and beat with electric mixer until whites are cool and stiff.
- Spoon into pastry bag fitted with star tip.
- Pipe concentric circles of stars atop tart, pulling up at the end of each star.
- Broil about 12 to 15 inches from source of heat until meringue is lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.