Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another great recipe from The Barefoot Contessa. Prep time does not include chilling the dough for 30 minutes.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening (recommended Crisco)
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 4 extra large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 stick)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 3 extra-large egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated lemon zest (6 to 8 lemons)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine the flour, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Put the flour mixture in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- Add the butter and shortening and pulse about 10 times until the butter is in small bits.
- Add the ice water and process until the dough comes together. Dump on a well-floured board and form into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out the dough and fit into a 9-inch tart pan with removable sides.
- Don't stretch the dough when placing it in the pan or it will shrink during baking.
- Cut off the excess by rolling the pin across the top of the pan.
- Line the tart shell with a piece of buttered aluminum foil, butter side down, and fill it with dried beans or rice.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the beans and foil and prick the bottom of the shell all over with a fork to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Set aside to cool.
- Raise the oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
- For the lemon filling:.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 1 minute.
- On low speed, add the eggs and egg yolks one at a time, and then add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt. Don't worry; it will look curdled.
- Pour the mixture into a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until thick, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Whisk briskly when it starts to thicken and cook over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Don't allow it to boil! It will be 175 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Pour into a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- For the meringue:.
- Whip the egg whites, cream of tartar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on high speed until frothy.
- With the mixer still running, slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and beat until the meringue is thick and shiny, about 2 minutes.
- Immediately spread the lemon filling in the cooled tart shell and pipe the meringue over it with a large star tip.
- Be sure the meringue covers the entire top and touches the edges of the shell, to prevent it from shrinking.
- Bake for 3 to 5 minutes, until the meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool to room temperature.