Recipe by zuzuzpetals
This recipe was given to me by my mother who has made this for over forty years. I've been baking this too for the past ten or so years. A family favorite.
Top Review by star_mireille_7089467
Tastes good, After adding the lemon juice to the meringue it started to loose it's fluff and I was not able to get it to a stiff peak. I think next time I will swap the lemon zest with the juice and put the juice in the batter and the zest in the meringue, all in all a good recipe, thank you for sharing.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of (for 2 tsp of grated lemon peel and 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter.
- Gradually blend in the confection sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks.
- Mix in the flour and the grated lemon peel.
- Spread evenly in bottom of greased 8" square pan.
- Bake 10 minutes at 350°F.
- Let cool while you prepare the Meringue topping.
- Beat egg whites till foamy.
- Gradually add the regular sugar and the lemon juice.
- Beat until stiff.
- Spread over baked mixture.
- Bake 25 minutes longer at 350°F.
- Cool and cut into bars.