Prep 1 min
Cook 5 mins
No more scorched saucepan bottoms! this is a no-fail recipe that is made in the microwave. For extreme lemon flavor add in a couple more tablespoons fresh lemon juice and be prepared to "pucker up" lol!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or use full-fat milk)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (optional)
- In an 8-cup Pyrex measuring cup mix the sugar, cornstarch and salt; add in the egg yolks, half and half cream, lemon juice and food colouring (if using) whisk until blended.
- Place in the microwave and cook on HIGH for about 5-6 minutes or until the mixture is thickened (removing and whisking every other minute to make certain that the mixture is completely mixed and smooth).
- Add in the butter and lemon rind; mix until the butter is melted.
- Pour into a baked and cooled 9-inch pie shell.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on top of the filling and chill until cooled.
GOOD technique in the microwave. Instructions -#3 have vanilla listed instead of lemon juice or missing vanilla in initial ingredients--confusing. No mention made of using egg whites for the meringue or as a chiffon mixture into the filling. Water or evaporated milk can be substituted for milk intolerant persons.