Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious buttery crust , and a creamy lemon filling flavored with a dash of lemon zest topped with a luscious meringue make this deep dish lemon meringue pie a real treat. Super easy to make , light and fragrant with lemons it makes a wonderful dessert.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 dash of finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Mix flour,butter,powdered sugar and salt in a bowl.
- incorporate butter in flour mix well.
- add water.
- mix well.
- knead gently into a bowl.
- place on a lightly floured surface and roll out to fit your pie pan.
- press into your pan ,flute the edges pierce the bottom and sides with a fork well.
- bake in oven at 420 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- in a large pot add 2 cups of water ,3/4 of a cup freshly squeezed lemon juice,1 dash of finely grated lemon zest,1 cup of sugar,3 egg yolks and 10 tablespoons of corn starch.
- whisk well with a wire whisk.
- turn on heat to medium and continue stirring with a whisk till mixtures thickens and just starts to bubble then remove from flame whisk in 2 tablespoons butter and let cool stirring occasionally.
- when the custard filling is cool and the pie shell are cool, fill the pie shell with the custard and spread evenly.
- in a chilled bowl whisk three egg whites until lightly foamy.
- add some 1/4 sugar and 1/8 of a teaspoon of salt and continue whisking until light peaks stay on your whisk.
- spoon or pipe on top of the pie.
- bake in oven at 420 degrees or till meringue is lightly golden brown on top.
- chill thoroughly before serving.