Recipe by ICURN of the Purple Ilk
I got this recipe from my dear friend Vicki from Kennesaw. She told me to take credit for it, but I can't do that, I got it from her and it is the most delicious lemon meringue pie I've ever made!!! It was easy and you can make it as sweet or tart as you please! I used large lemons and made mine a bit more tart and tangy!!
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 medium lemon, zest of
- 1 1⁄2 medium lemons, juice of
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust, cooled
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Pie filling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the sugar, flour, salt and water in a heavy saucepan.
- Stir constantly over medium-high heat until mixture boils.
- Boil, stirring constantly and vigorously for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Slightly beat the egg yolks in a bowl with a fork.
- Mix half of the boiled mixture with the egg yolks.
- Then pour the egg mixture into the pan with the other half of the boiled mixture.
- Cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly and vigorously.
- Remove from heat, and add the butter.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Pour into cooled, baked 9-inch pie crust and top with meringue.
- Beat the egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- With mixer running, add the cream of tartar, then gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Pile on top of pie.
- Be sure to seal the meringue to the pie crust edge when spreading it onto the pie.
- To minimize"weeping", spread the meringue on the pie filling while the filling is still hot.
- Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remember that meringue pies cut better with a wet knife blade and enjoy!