Recipe by Suzanne S.
This one is my husband's favorite recipe. He requests this rather than a birthday cake for his birthday.
- 1 pie shell, prebaked and cooled
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In double boiler, whisk together yolks, eggs, sugar, lemon juice and corn starch.
- Place over simmering water.
- Cook over medium heat until thick enough to coat back of spoon.
- Do not boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Pour into crust.
- For meringue: Beat whites with tartar at highest speed.
- Add sugar slowly until peaks form.
- Put on pie and bake for 10 minutes.