1/1 Photo of Lemon Meringue Pie
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 classic pie crust, blind baked (Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 ginger snaps, finely crushed
- 1MAKE THE FILLING.
- 2In a medium-size saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- 3Gradually add the cold water, whisking until mixture comes to a boil.
- 4Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring occasionally.
- 5In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks.
- 6Stir a small amount of filling into the egg yolks to temper them.
- 7Then add the yolk mixture to the remaining filling and slowly stir for 1 minute longer.
- 8DO NOT OVERMIX.
- 9Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the butter, lemon rind and juice.
- 10Sprinkle the ginger snap crumbs over the baked crust.
- 11Pour in the lemon filling while it is still warm, then make the meringue.
- 12MAKE THE MERINGUE.
- 13Position the oven rack to the lower third of the oven.
- 14Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 15In a small bowl, combine the sugars.
- 16In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with beaters or whip attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy.
- 17Add the cream of tartar and increase mixer speed to medium-high.
- 18Beat until the egg whites form firm peaks, but are not dry, then add the sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, taking about 1 minute.
- 19Add the vanilla.
- 20Beat the whites until thick and glossy, about 30 seconds longer.
- 21With a tablespoon, drop mounds of meringue in a ring around the edge of the filling, then fill in the center.
- 22With the back of a tablespoon, spread the meringue to COMPLETELY cover the filling.
- 23Swirl the meringue with the back of the tablespoon to form peaks.
- 24Bake the pie in a 400-degree oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly brown.
- 25Cool the pie away from drafts.
- 26A chill may cause the meringue to fall.
- 27Do not cut the pie until it is completely cool.
- 28TO PREVENT MERINGUE FROM WEEPING.
- 29Blend in the sugar slowly.
- 30Spread the meringue on the filling while the filling is still warm.
- 31Seal the meringue onto the very edge of the pie.
- 32Leave no trace of filling uncovered.
- 33Do not overbake.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 532.3
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 133.1 mg
- Sodium 349.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 65.5 g
- Protein 6.3 g