Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Lemon Meringue Pie is one of my favorites and I am always on the lookout for the best recipe.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine 1 cup of sugar, the cornstarch, and salt.
- Mix until well blended.
- Gradually add the boiling water, stirring constantly and cook over moderate heat until the mixture thickens.
- Add the lemon rind and juice and stir.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks until foamy.
- Add a small amount of the hot lemon mixture to them, stirring constant.
- Then pour the egg mixture into the lemon mixture in the saucepan, stirring.
- Add the butter and continue cooking, stirring, until the mixture is very thick.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat the egg white with an electric mixer until thickened.
- Gradually add the remaining 6 tablespoons sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- With a spatula, cover the pie with the meringue, being careful to seal all the edges.
- With a spoon, make a few peaks in the meringue.
- Bake just until the top has browned slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving.
A very good recipe, I would suggest using about 5 egg whites instead of 3 however. My pie was a little flat, but delicious.
Delicious!! :) This recipe produced a beautiful yellow filling that was perfect in texture as well as flavor. Not too sweet, not too sour. My mom, who is in town visiting, & I decided to make lemon meringue pie for dessert last night. We browsed different recipes & chose to try this one. Based on other reviewers' suggestions we used 5 egg whites for the meringue & it's lucky we did! I have a brand new oven that burned the meringue in less than 4 minutes! We scraped off the beautiful peaks my mom had made & put the pie under the broiler again for only about 2 minutes. :) Instead of the regular pie dough we chose to make the shortbread crust from Recipe #298723, as I found it to be a delicious compliment to lemon. The final product, although not as pretty as it would have been if we hadn't burned it, was the best lemon meringue pie we have ever tasted. Thanks so much for sharing, Sharlene!
this is by far the best recipe for Lemon Meringue Pie I have ever used.