Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Combine sugar, salt, flour and cornstarch with 1/2 cup water. Heat remaining water and add. Cook over hot water or low heat until thickened and clear (about 20 minutes).
- Beat egg yolks. Add a little of hot mixture to them and return to first mixture, stirring constantly.
- When thick, remove from heat (about 5 minutes). Stir in butter, lemon juice and rind.
- Cook and pour into baked pie shell.
- Top with meringue made by beating 3 egg whites with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar until stiff enough to hold in peaks.
- Brown in a slow oven (325 degrees) about 15 minutes.
- Note: Argo Starch recipe same except omit 1/4 cup flour and reduce water to 1 1/2 cup.