Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Nothing beats homemade Lemon Meringue Pie. Time does not include chill time.
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- For filling, whisk sugar, water, and cornstarch in a heavy-bottomed saucepot.
- Whisk in egg yolks and salt and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Increase heat to medium and, still whisking, cook until filling becomes glossy and thick, about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain.
- Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and butter until butter dissolves.
- Pour immediately into cooled pie shell and let cool 15 minutes.
- Chill completely before finishing with meringue, about 4 hours.
- For meringue, preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Whip egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy.
- While whipping, gradually pour in sugar and whip on one speed less than highest until whites hold a stiff peak.
- Whisk in cornstarch and dollop over chilled lemon filling.
- Use sweeping motions with your spatula to create swirls and peaks.
- Bake pie for 10 minutes, just until meringue browns lightly.
- Let pie cool or chill until ready to slice.