Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe comes from the Summit cookbook. It is a nice little recipe for those who enjoy lemon meringue.
Lemon Meringue Filling
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, seperated
- 8 inches cooked pastry dough, case
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 125 g butter
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Pie Crust:.
- Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add butter and rub lighting into flour. When mixture is like fine breadcrumbs, stir in sugar and make a well in the centre.
- Add egg yolk, lemon juice and enough cold water to mix to a slightly crumbly stiff dough.
- Knead lightly, cover wth glad wrapp and chill for an hour in fridge.
- When chilled, roll out pastry on a floured board. Line pie tray with grease proof paper and then with pastry and cut off any excess. Add another sheet of greaseproof paper ontop of the pastry and fill case with dried peas. (This will stop pie shell from changing shape).
- Bake on middle shelf of moderate oven for 15-20 minutes Remove peas and paper and cook for a further 10 minutes Set aside to cool.
- Lemon Meringue Filling:.
- Combine cornflour, water, butter, lemon rind, lemon juice and 1/2 cup caster sugar in a saucepan. Whisk over a moderate head until boiling, whisk for a further 2-3minutes. Cool slightly.
- Beat in egg yolks and pour into pastry case.
- In sepeate bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff. Add 1/4 cup caster sugar and whisk until stiff again.
- Gently fold in the remaining sugar.
- Pile meringue over lemon mixture making sure it comes right down to the pastry all round.
- Bake in a slow oven for about 30 minues until meringue is golden.