Recipe by Cheri 911
Old fashioned and just right. My oldest daughter requests this as her "birthday cake" each year. So do I, actually! Be sure to allow 3 hours or more to cool and set before you want to serve.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie crusts
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In medium saucepan combine 1 cup sugar and corn starch. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Stir in egg yolks.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat and boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice and butter.
- Spoon hot filling into pie crust.
- In small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup sugar; continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing to edge of crust.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack; refrigerate.