Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
For the best pie, be sure to remove filling from the heat before you stir in the lemon juice and butter and spread the meringue while the filling is hot! Be sure to add 3 to 6 hours for cooling.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon, rind of
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell, cooled
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a medium saucepan stir together the sugar, cornstarch and flour.
- Gradually add the water, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat and cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks.
- Pour egg yolk mixture back into remaining hot filling in saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the butter or margarine and lemon peel.
- Gently stir in lemon juice.
- Prepare meringue: In large mixing bowl combine 3 egg whites, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar.
- Beat with mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, beating the meringue until stiff and glossy peaks form and all the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour hot filling into cooled piecrust.
- Spread the meringue over the hot lemon pie filling; carefully seal all around the edge of the piecrust to prevent shrinkage.
- Bake the pie in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate 3 to 6 hours before serving.
My mother-in-law passed away this past April. She always made a Lemon Meringue pie for my father-in-law's birthday. I took on the challenge of trying to make a pie for his birthday this week. He LOVED it! He is very picky, usually, and he wouldn't lie just to make me feel good. It was an easy to follow recipe for me ( a cake person). Thank you very much!!!!!
I'm in the middle of making my fourth one....in two weeks. I followed directions exactly and it was delicious. I have since taken to adding a little less sugar, a little more lemon zest and juice and using half milk and half water for the liquid. I don't generally make pies. Meringue pies scared the beejeezus out of me and this recipe makes me look like a pro every time. Thank you so much for a great recipe.
This pie is SOOOOOO Good!!! I love lemon and this really hit the spot. After reading some of the reviews I decided to add a little more zest than called for. I didn't measure it out but I put in the zest of three lemons. The only other thing I did differently was I used my own tried and true meringue recipe (which is actually almost the same as the one in this recipe). This is definitely a keeper, look no further for the perfect Lemon Meringue Pie!