Recipe by Andrea
For the best pie, be sure to remove filling from the heat before you stir in the lemon juice and butter and spread the meringue while the filling is hot! Be sure to add 3 to 6 hours for cooling.
Top Review by has623
My mother-in-law passed away this past April. She always made a Lemon Meringue pie for my father-in-law's birthday. I took on the challenge of trying to make a pie for his birthday this week. He LOVED it! He is very picky, usually, and he wouldn't lie just to make me feel good. It was an easy to follow recipe for me ( a cake person). Thank you very much!!!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon, rind of
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell, cooled
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan stir together the sugar, cornstarch and flour.
- Gradually add the water, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat and cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks.
- Pour egg yolk mixture back into remaining hot filling in saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the butter or margarine and lemon peel.
- Gently stir in lemon juice.
- Prepare meringue: In large mixing bowl combine 3 egg whites, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar.
- Beat with mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, beating the meringue until stiff and glossy peaks form and all the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour hot filling into cooled piecrust.
- Spread the meringue over the hot lemon pie filling; carefully seal all around the edge of the piecrust to prevent shrinkage.
- Bake the pie in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate 3 to 6 hours before serving.