1/9 Photos of Lemon Meringue Pie
For the best pie, be sure to remove filling from the heat before you stir in the lemon juice and butter and spread the meringue while the filling is hot! Be sure to add 3 to 6 hours for cooling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon, rind of
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell, cooled
- 1In a medium saucepan stir together the sugar, cornstarch and flour.
- 2Gradually add the water, stirring constantly.
- 3Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- 4Reduce heat and cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- 5Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks.
- 6Pour egg yolk mixture back into remaining hot filling in saucepan.
- 7Bring to a gentle boil.
- 8Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- 9Remove from heat.
- 10Stir in the butter or margarine and lemon peel.
- 11Gently stir in lemon juice.
- 12Prepare meringue: In large mixing bowl combine 3 egg whites, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar.
- 13Beat with mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- 14Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, beating the meringue until stiff and glossy peaks form and all the sugar is dissolved.
- 15Pour hot filling into cooled piecrust.
- 16Spread the meringue over the hot lemon pie filling; carefully seal all around the edge of the piecrust to prevent shrinkage.
- 17Bake the pie in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
- 18Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- 19Refrigerate 3 to 6 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.5
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 69.8 mg
- Sodium 172.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 47.3 g
- Protein 4.0 g