1/1 Photo of Lemon Meringue Pie
This dessert is an old favourite of many! Everyone seems to LOVE it! It really IS delicious! For some UNKNOWN reason, I seem to make it more often in the cooler months of the year than in the spring or summer! I haven't included the preparation time here mainly because I usually make the pastry case well in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE PASTRY
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3 teaspoons icing sugar
- 140 g butter
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons icey cold water (approximately)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING
- 1/2 cup cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 -3 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 3 egg yolks
- 60 g unsalted butter (salted butter will probably be okay)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MERINGUE
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1Sift the flour and icing sugar into a bowl.
- 2Rub in the butter.
- 3Add the egg YOLK and enough water to make the ingredients cling together.
- 4Press the dough into a ball and knead lightly on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- 5Cover/wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 6Then, roll the dough out, large enough to line a 24cm flan tin.
- 7(ensure the tin is lightly greased before placing the pastry dough in) AT THIS STAGE you can either trim the edges now, or, wait until the pastry has been baked in the oven- this way the pastry will not"shrink" away fron the sides!
- 8(or atleast ALLOWS for any"shrinkage") Line the pastry with baking paper and fill with rice or beans.
- 9Bake in moderately hot oven (210-230'C) for 10 minutes after which time remove the paper and rice/beans and bake a further 10 minutes- or until the pastry is lightly browned.
- 10Cool to room temperature.
- 11Now make the filling and spread it into the pastry case: Combine the cornflour and sugar in a pan and GRADUALLY stir in the lemon juice and water.
- 12Stir until smooth and then stir over heat until the mixture boils (and thickens)- the mixture should be VERRRY thick!
- 13Reduce the heat and QUICKLY stir in the grated lemon rind, egg YOLKS and butter.
- 14Stir until the butter is melted then cover and cool to room temperature.
- 15Now for the MERINGUE!
- 16Beat the egg WHITES until soft peaks form, then GRADUALLY add the castor sugar.
- 17Beat well until sugar is dissolved.
- 18Spread the meringue on top or the filling.
- 19Bake in MODERATE oven (180-200'C) for about 5 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned.
- 20TIP: ensure the meringue covers the edge of the pastry case- this will prevent the meringue from'sliding' in from the edge!
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 481.6
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 136.5 mg
- Sodium 151.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 41.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g