Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy to make--quick to go.
Make and share this Lemon Meringue Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Line pie pan with pastry, prick bottom, cook in hot oven on 180-200° Celsius.
- In saucepan combine cornstarch, flour, sugar and salt.
- Mixing well, gradually add water, stirring until smooth.
- Over medium heat bring to boil, stirring occasionally, boil 1 minute until shiny and translucent.
- Quickly stir some of hot mixture into beaten egg yolks.
- Pour back into hot mixture stir to blend.
- Return to heat cook over LOW heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and butter.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Make meringue in medium bowl.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy.
- Gradually beat in sugar, a little at a time.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over cooled lemon pie, carefully sealing to edge of crust.
- Bake in preheated oven 7-9 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
- Let cool -- serve.
Hubby brought home heaps of eggs from his travels around the country side from little road side shops. I didn't know what to make with three dozen of eggs and Little Miss (DD) suggested Lemon Meringue. I don't eat eggs, but my family love them so I still cook them eggs. I can't comment on the taste (because I didn't eat any) but Hubby and Little Miss (DD) really enjoyed it. I made my own shortcrust pastry and other then this I kept to the recipe. The top of the meringue was very brown (not sure if that's the way it should look) but the inside of the meringue was light and fluffy. Thanks for posting your recipe jenny butt