1/8 Photos of Lemon Meringue Pie
4 hrs 10 mins
This pie is magical! I think the secret is the lemon juice and lemon zest, or maybe it's the flaky crust. The pie crust makes two shells, I save the second shell for a quiche, or freeze it for another pie at some later date. One of my best friends always wants me to make this when she has covered dish parties, or we invite them to dinner. The recipe is adapted from a wonderful cookbook, Twelve Company Dinners, that my father gave to me Christmas, 1964. I have posted a separate recipe of the Perfect Pie Crust for anyone who needs more detailed instruction and more pictures. For the best pie, be sure to remove filling from the heat before you stir in the lemon juice and butter and spread the meringue while the filling is hot! Be sure to add 3 to 6 hours for cooling. Time includes firming up time. If no Pie Mix: 1 1/2 cups sugar 3 tablespoons corn starch 3 tablespoons flour dash salt 1 1/2 cups water 3 egg yolks the same butter, lemon rind, and juice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Crust
For the Filling
- 1Sift measured flour and salt into a bowl.
- 2Pour oil into glass measuring cup and add cold milk to make 3/4 cup liquid.
- 3Pour liquid into bowl and stir with a fork.
- 4Save half the dough to use later.
- 5Roll remaining half of dough into circle between two sheets of wax paper.
- 6Place into pie pan, make standing rim, and prick with fork.
- 7Bake in oven 450°F for 8- 10 minutes.
- 8Remove pan from oven and set aside to cool.
- 9Reduce oven temperature to 425°F.
- 10Mix filling mix with sugar in a saucepan (not double-boiler).
- 11Add egg yolks and stir again.
- 12Add water, stirring constantly over medium heat, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- 13Remove from heat and let cool. (this is when I zest and squeeze the lemon).
- 14Add butter, juice and zest.
- 15Let sit until meringue is ready.
- 16Put 5 tablespoons of the sugar into a measuring cup.
- 17Beat egg whites with cream of tarter until frothy. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and continue beating until whites start to stiffen. Gradually add remaining sugar while continuing to beat. Continue to beat until meringue forms stiff peaks.
- 18Pour filling into pie crust.
- 19Spoon meringue over filling, making sure to seal the edges against the pie shell.
- 20Make peaks with spoon.
- 21Brown pie 5- 10 minutes to desired color.
- 22Cool pie on rack and avoid drafts.
- 23Allow 3-6 hours for pie to firm up!
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.9
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 70.9 mg
- Sodium 254.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 26.4 g
- Protein 5.8 g