10 hrs 35 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
I found this one a while back & plan to use it this summer - we love bright, tart lemon meringue pie so this sounded like a natural. Sadly I did not save source to attribute. My notes indicate using store bought meringues is the way to go - with our summer's heat & humidity store bought are the only way to go! This recipe makes too much custard for a single batch - works for us as it means 2 days of ice cream from just one cooking time! Prep time is including an overnight freezel - probably could be several hours less.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the lemon syrup
- 7 fluid ounces lemon juice (4-5 lemons)
- 2 lemons, zest of, grated
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 5 ounces caster sugar
For the ice cream
- 1Lemon syrup:.
- 2Mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice.
- 3Dissolve the sugar with the remaining lemon juice in a nonreactive saucepan over a low heat (approx. 5-6 minutes).
- 4Add the lemon zest, bring up to simmering point and cook for 5 minutes.
- 5Stir the lemon juice/cornstarch mix nto a slurry & add to sugar, lemon juice & zest in pan.
- 6Cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- 7Remove from heat & set aside to cool then refrigerate.
- 8Custard for the ice cream:.
- 9Heat cream in saucepan to just simmering.
- 10While cream is gently heating, whisk the egg yolks, cornstarch and sugar together.
- 11When the cream reaches simmering point, pour it over the other ingredients and whisk well.
- 12Pour the whisked mixture back into the saucepan and bring back to a bare simmer, whisking constantly until thickened.
- 13Pour the thickened custard into a bowl, cover with clingfilm placed directly on the surface of the custard and chill it.
- 14Combine chilled custard with the yoghurt, then freeze this mix for about 2 hours - until it just begins to freeze.
- 15Whisk in chilled lemon syrup.
- 16Pour into ice cream maker (remember you may need only 1/2 the custard in your machine so stash the other half covered in the fridge for the next batch) & follow manufacturer's directions to freeze. Fold in meringue pieces and freeze n freezer at lest 2 hours. Let sit 5 to 15 minutes to soften slightly before scooping to serve.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Meringue Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (1042 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1515.0
- Calories from Fat 817
- Total Fat 90.8 g
- Saturated Fat 54.4 g
- Cholesterol 683.8 mg
- Sodium 101.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 176.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 158.7 g
- Protein 9.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of