Prep 10 hrs
Cook 35 mins
I found this one a while back & plan to use it this summer - we love bright, tart lemon meringue pie so this sounded like a natural. Sadly I did not save source to attribute. My notes indicate using store bought meringues is the way to go - with our summer's heat & humidity store bought are the only way to go! This recipe makes too much custard for a single batch - works for us as it means 2 days of ice cream from just one cooking time! Prep time is including an overnight freezel - probably could be several hours less.
For the lemon syrup
- 7 fluid ounces lemon juice (4-5 lemons)
- 2 lemons, zest of, grated
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 5 ounces caster sugar
For the ice cream
- 15 fluid ounces whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks, large
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, heaping
- 6 ounces caster sugar
- 7 fluid ounces Greek yogurt
- 4 meringues, broken into coarse chunks
- Lemon syrup:.
- Mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice.
- Dissolve the sugar with the remaining lemon juice in a nonreactive saucepan over a low heat (approx. 5-6 minutes).
- Add the lemon zest, bring up to simmering point and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir the lemon juice/cornstarch mix nto a slurry & add to sugar, lemon juice & zest in pan.
- Cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat & set aside to cool then refrigerate.
- Custard for the ice cream:.
- Heat cream in saucepan to just simmering.
- While cream is gently heating, whisk the egg yolks, cornstarch and sugar together.
- When the cream reaches simmering point, pour it over the other ingredients and whisk well.
- Pour the whisked mixture back into the saucepan and bring back to a bare simmer, whisking constantly until thickened.
- Pour the thickened custard into a bowl, cover with clingfilm placed directly on the surface of the custard and chill it.
- Combine chilled custard with the yoghurt, then freeze this mix for about 2 hours - until it just begins to freeze.
- Whisk in chilled lemon syrup.
- Pour into ice cream maker (remember you may need only 1/2 the custard in your machine so stash the other half covered in the fridge for the next batch) & follow manufacturer's directions to freeze. Fold in meringue pieces and freeze n freezer at lest 2 hours. Let sit 5 to 15 minutes to soften slightly before scooping to serve.