Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
Live at Five, Lee Murphy, Knox County Health Dept.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon rind, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- cooking spray
- 1 pint strawberry, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 9x9 pan, or round dish with cooking spray.
- Beat flour, 1 cup sugar, margarine, milk, baking powder, lemon rind, vanilla, salt, and 2 egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pan and bake 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool slightly.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- Beat remaining 2 egg whites in medium bowl until frothy.
- Slowly beat in ½ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Spread over cake and bake 8-10 minutes, or until meringue is lightly brown.
- Cool completely.
- Upon serving, top with sliced strawberries.