Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe starts with a white cake mix and uses meringue powder. The recipe states it makes 20 cupcakes, but I am guesstimating 24. I think I would substitue fresh lemon juice (2-3 tablespoons) for part of the water in the cupcakes for more lemon flavour. From Woman's World magazine. NOTE: Prep time does not include cooling time for the cupcakes.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups cold water
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 12 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350*. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Beat cake mix, water, sour cream, egg whites, egg and oil for 30 seconds on medium speed. Then beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Fold in lemon zest.
- Evenly divide batter in pan. Bake @ 350* for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into centres.
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans to cool completely.
- MERINGUE TOPPING -
- Preheat oven to 425*.
- In a bowl, combine 6 tablespoons sugar, meringue powder and water.
- Beat at medium-high speed for 5-7 minutes or until very soft peaks form.
- Slowly beat in remaining sugar until stiff (this should take 5 minutes more).
- Spread cupcakes with meringue & place on a jellyroll pan.
- Bake @ 425* for 5 minutes, uintil lightly browned. Cool.