Prep 12 hrs
Cook 5 hrs 30 mins
If you're having a dinner party or just the in-laws WOW them with these crisp snow white Baked meringues filled with a luscious lemon pudding and garnish it with fresh berries (this can be doubled). I know it looks like a lot, but its simple with simple ingredients. If you take the time to try this, you won't be sorry.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Lemon Cream Filling
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons of grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- fresh berries (to garnish)
- mint (to garnish)
- For meringue: Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and draw six 3 ½-inch circles on the paper. Turn the paper over and secure to the baking sheet with masking tape.
- Beat egg whites, salt, and lemon juice at high speed with a mixer until foamy; gradually add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes).
- Spoon meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip and pipe about 1 tablespoon meringue in center of each circle. Spread evenly to edges of circle using a spoon. Pipe more meringue around edges of the circles to create cups (sides should be about 2 inches high).
- Bake at 200F degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Turn oven off and leave meringues in oven at least 12 hours to dry; carefully remove meringue cups from paper.
- Lemon Cream Filling: Beat eggs at medium speed until thick and pale. Add sugar and lemon juice; beat well. Stir in the grated lemon rind.
- Transfer mixture into a 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°F Cool completely, then fold in whipped cream.
- When ready to serve, spoon the filling into the meringue cups. Garnish with berries and mint.