My grandma loves lemon meringue pie, but making real meringue scares me. This is my compromise. They really taste like lemon meringue pie! These are thin and crispy cookies that can be dime-sized or palm-sized, depending on your tastes. They take some time to prepare if you plan on making them small, but they look gorgeous small and go well with tea or coffee either way. Nutritional info, serving amount and prep time is based on the smaller version of this cookie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 cookie sheets.
- 2Cream butter and 1 cup sugar. Add egg and lemon extract; beat hard.
- 3In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed butter mixture and mix well.
- 4For small cookies: pinch off portions of dough and roll into marble-sized balls. For larger cookies: use tablespoonfuls and roll into balls.
- 5Place remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a shallow dish and roll dough balls in it, rolling a few at a time and placing them on the greased cookie sheets after (place about 1"-2" apart depending on the size you choose to make the cookies).
- 6Using the bottom of a buttered and sugared, flat-bottomed drinking glass, flatten each cookie to about 1/8" by pressing them down with the glass. You can also do this all at once with a large glass baking dish by buttering and sugaring the bottom and pressing down all the cookies at once.
- 7Bake cookies 2 sheets at a time for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, rotating the top sheet to the bottom shelf (and vice versa) half way through baking. Cool sheets in between batches if you have to use the sheets more than once.
- 8When the cookies come out of the oven, let them sit for just a minute to harden and then remove them as soon as they are hard enough to take off the sheet without ripping or breaking. Cool on racks.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Meringue Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (31 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 21
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 129.1
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 10.0 mg
- Sodium 99.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 1.4 g