Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
DD loves her cheesecake and DH loves his lemon meringue pie, so to please both I thought I would try this recipe I found in Good Taste Magazine. They both liked it but both thought it needed more lemon flavour, so I have adjusted some of the ingredients to suit their tastes. I have not included cooling and chilling time in preparation time.
- 1 (250 g) packagearnotts nice biscuits
- 140 g melted butter
- 2 (250 g) packets cream cheese (room temp)
- 300 g sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- Line the base of a 22cm spring form pan with baking paper. Place the biscuits in a food processor, process until finely crushed. Add the butter and process until well combined. Transfer the biscuit mixture to prepared pan. Use a straight sided glass to spread and press the biscuit mixture over the base and the sides of pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 160c. Place the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, lemon rind and juice in food processor and process until combined (make sure food processor bowl is clean).
- Pour the cream cheese mixture on top of biscuit base. Bake for 1 hour or until just set in centre. Leave the cheesecake in oven, with the door slightly ajar, for 2 hours until completely cool (this is to prevent cracking of the cake). Remove cake from oven and place in fridge for 4 hour to chill.
- TO MAKE MERINGUE:.
- Use an electric beater to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until firm peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Preheat oven to 200c. Spoon the meringue over the cheesecake, spread to the edge. Bake in oven for 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool for 5 minutes and place in fridge for 2-3 hours to chill.
This is awesome!! We all loved this I loved the tangy lemon cheesecake part and my son loved the meringue.. I am taking the rest to my mum's this afternoon for the family who I know will love this. I did adjust amounts listed as we love things lemony so I added extra lemon juice. I love cheesecake and my favourite is strawberry but this has just gone right up there with that. Cheers Tisme for a fab recipe!! :) Update: Have just got back from my mum's a huge thumbs up from my mum, brothers and sister. They all thought it was delicious and loved the tangy lemon flavour. I can see me getting lots of requests for this one.. Genius Tisme a cake that pleases everyone, gotta love it!!
I finally got around to making this lovely cheesecake. I used lemon creme cookies for the base and adjusted the whole eggs to just egg whites (6 tbl egg whites = 3 eggs)