Top Review by Bev
Magnificent compliment to freshly sliced strawberries! I used 2% milk, real egg whites and also real butter to prepare my recipe. I loved the addition of the meringue to this cake. It added just the slightest additional sweetness that was needed. I would recommend this recipe to anyone who enjoys strawberries! Thanks for the lovely dessert, Meow! We loved it!
- 1 pint strawberry, sliced (2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites or 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray square pan, 9×9×2 inches, with cooking spray.
- Beat flour, 1 cup sugar, the margarine, milk, baking powder, lemon peel, vanilla, salt and 2 egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Beat 2 egg whites in medium bowl on high speed until foamy.
- Beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Spread over cake.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until meringue is light brown.
- Cool completely.
- Top each serving with strawberries.