Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 pint strawberry, sliced (2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites or 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Mix strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray square pan, 9×9×2 inches, with cooking spray.
- Beat flour, 1 cup sugar, the margarine, milk, baking powder, lemon peel, vanilla, salt and 2 egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Beat 2 egg whites in medium bowl on high speed until foamy.
- Beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Spread over cake.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until meringue is light brown.
- Cool completely.
- Top each serving with strawberries.
Magnificent compliment to freshly sliced strawberries! I used 2% milk, real egg whites and also real butter to prepare my recipe. I loved the addition of the meringue to this cake. It added just the slightest additional sweetness that was needed. I would recommend this recipe to anyone who enjoys strawberries! Thanks for the lovely dessert, Meow! We loved it!
I only used 3/4 cup sugar as we don't like anything too sweet. I didn't make the meringue. We put the strawberries on top and used the "Cool Whip" topping that we all like. It turned out quite well, thanks.
The meringue on this cake is a nice change from the norm and we all enjoyed it. I used real everything and 1% milk. DH who isn't much of a cake person and he made good comments too. I might consider adding just a bit of lemon juice to the cake to add more lemon flavor - as is, it is very mild. I can see making this quite a bit during strawberry season. I would also recommend not baking the cake until it completely tests done because of the extra baking time needed for the meringue. Mine was still moist but almost on the verge of not. I baked the full 30 minutes and next time plan to take out at 25. Just some things to consider.