Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from my friend Vera back in 1974. I loved it then, and I still love it. We are still friends, I was just thinkin, I really should tell her I still use her recipes. The box of piecrust mix is a guesstimate as I didn't have one on hand at this time. Sorry for the inconvience, but there is only one size to my knowledege.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend piecrust mix, the 1/4 cup sugar and 1 of the eggs in medium size bowl with a pastry blender.
- Pat dough evenly into a greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Bake in oven (350) for 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack; leave oven on.
- Beat the remaining 3 eggs and the 1 cup sugar in a medium size bowl with mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in lemon rind and juice and flour; pour mixture over pie crust.
- Return to oven; bake 15 minutes longer.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in a medium size bowl with mixer until frothy. Beat in remaining 3 tablespoons sugar,1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue forms stiff peaks.
- Remove pan from oven. Raise oven temperature to 450.
- Spread meringue mixture over lemon mixture.
- Return to oven and bake 5 minutes more or until meringue peaks are golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack. Cut with a wet knife into bars.