Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I got this recipe from the latest copy of Martha Stewart Living magazine. I haven't tried it yet but they look delicious.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make crust: Put butter, flour, confectioner's sugar, 2 tsp lemon zest, and the salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until blended.
- Transfer mixture to a 9 x 13-inch rimmed baking sheet. Press batter evenly into baking sheet. Bake 20-22 minutes till golden brown. Chill in freezer for 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make filling: Whisk together whole eggs, 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, the lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons lemon zest. Pour over crust. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes making sure the filling is set. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Keep oven at 350°.
- Make meringue topping: Put egg whites and 1/2 cup granulated sugar in the clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Using an offset spatula or the back of a spoon, spread meringue over filling, swirling to create soft peaks. Bake util meringue begins to brown, 8 to minutes. Let cool completely. Cut into bars. Bars can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 day.