Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Taste Of Home Light & Tasty.
- 12 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) jar lemon curd
- 4 egg whites
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. gradually beat in remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
- Bake on lowest oven rack at 350* for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake; split into two horizontal layers. Place cake bottom on an ovenproof plate. Spread with lemon curd; replace cake top.
- For merangue, in a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread over top and sides of cake.
- Bake at 350* for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers.