Recipe by Wrynkle
The original recipe says to toss warm cookies in powdered sugar but I found that to be a bit too messy when eating them. They taste awesome without the powdered sugar. If you're looking for a sweet lemony treat these cookies are for you!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (finely shredded lemon peel)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar and baking soda; beat until combined. Beat in the egg yolk, milk, lemon peel, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a 9-inch roll. Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill in fridge for 4 to 24 hours.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1/2 inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (I use a rubber baking mat).
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are barely light brown. Cool on a wire rack then serve. Store cookies in an airtight container up to one week or freeze up to 3 months. Thaw to room temperature before serving.