Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Use a less expensive mild olive oil. *See variations for roasted garlic mayonnaise and red pepper mayonnaise.
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender, set a low speed, combine the egg yolks, water, lemon juice, and salt.
- Partially cover the open blender with a towel to cut down on spatter and increase speed to high.
- Begin adding olive oil in a slow, steady stream (this should take 5-7 minutes).
- As the mayonnaise begins to thicken, the towel will no longer be necessary and the noise from the blender will lessen.
- Watch as the mayonnaise thickens, being careful to maintain the slow stream of the olive oil being added.
- Store the mayonnaise in a bowl covered with plastic wrap or in a plastic container with a tight fitting lid up to 4 days.
- *Roasted Garlic Mayonnaise: follow the above recipe, adding 1/4 cup recipe #232091 (Balsamic Roasted Garlic) after the mayonnaise has come together.
- *Red Pepper Mayonnaise: add 1/4 cup Peperonata (recipe #225648) after the mayonnaise has come together.