Recipe by Susan Dillard
This recipe came from the March/April 1994 issue of Cooking Light magazine. I have fixed these many times and you would never suspect them of being low fat! They are delicious!
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, plus
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup thawed whipped topping
- 2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Place egg in small bowl and set aside.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and lemon rind in a saucepan; stir well.
- Slowly add water& lemon juice stirring with a whisk until blended.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and stirring constantly cook one minute.
- Stir one quarter of hot lemon mixture into the beaten egg, add this to remaining lemon mixture, stir constantly.
- Cook over medium heat 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture into a bowl; stir in coloring, if desired.
- Place plastic wrap on surface and chill.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lemon filling into each Macaroon Tart Shell.
- Top with 2 teaspoons whipped topping and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon toasted coconut.
- MACAROON TART SHELLS:.
- Combine all ingredients (except spray) in a bowl; stir well.
- Divide evenly among 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- Press mixture into bottom and up sides of cups.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until edges are browned.
- Cool 2 minutes on a wire rack.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.