Prep 4 mins
Cook 13 mins
Lemon and asparagus are a classic combination and there are many versions here on the site. In this version, the lemons are roasted along with the asparagus allowing them to caramelize releasing a wonderful tangy-sweet accent to the asparagus stalks. Even better, this heart healthy dish skips the butter and gently uses extra virgin olive oil and fresh herbs. The recipe easily doubles or triples for a larger group.
- 1 lb asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (fresh is better if you have it) or 1 teaspoon dried oregano (fresh is better if you have it)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Toss asparagus, lemon slices, oil, oregano, salt and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, shaking the pan occasionally to toss, until the asparagus is tender-crisp, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
We loved asparagus cooked this way. The fresh oregano and lemon made it so flavorful! Thanks for posting.
Decent recipe but a bit bitter and strong in the lemon department. Will make again and cut down on the lemon
Loved this! Subtle flavors that let the taste of the asparagus come through. I may add some garlic next time...I just love garlic with asparagus! I made this for Zaar Stars Tag...thanks for posting a wonderful recipe!