Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
Lemony cheese cake with sponge cake bottom, sour cream top and drizzled with lemon sauce. Times are approx.
- 1⁄2 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 extra-large eggs, separated
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 drops lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sponge Cake Layer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and generously butter a 9-inch springform pan.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder, together in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks together in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high for 3 minutes.
- Then, with mixer still running, gradually add sugar continue beating until thick and light-yellow about 5 minutes longer.
- Beat in vanilla and lemon extracts.
- Sift flour mixture over batter and gently stir it in by hand then blend in butter.
- In a clean bowl, using clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar together on high until frothy.
- Gradually add sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- The whites should stand up in stiff peaks, but not be dry.
- Stir about 1/3 cup of whites into the batter, then gently fold in remaining whites.
- Gently spoon batter into the pan.
- Bake cake just until center of the cake springs back when lightly touched, only about 10 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack while making cheesecake filling.
- Do not remove from pan.
- CHEESE CAKE.
- Preheat oven 300 degrees F.
- In large mixer bowl beat cheese until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in condensed milk until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time and lemon juice.
- Evenly pour cheese filling on top of baked sponge cake.
- Bake 50-55 minutes, until center is set.
- Remove from oven; turn oven to 500 degrees F.
- Mix sour cream, sugar and vanilla well; spread evenly over top of cheese cake; return to oven bake 5 min.
- Remove from oven, cool, chill for several hours; best over night.
- LEMON SAUCE.
- Combine cornstarch and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Slowly stir boiling water into the sugar mixture.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Cover and cook over very low heat or over boiling water in a double boiler, stirring occasionally, until no raw starch taste remains, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon rind and juice.
- When ready to serve cheese cake drizzle over servings.
I made this for my sweetheart's birthday yesterday. This is a very impressive recipe, both from flavor standpoint and in appearance. The layers are elegant and the lemon taste is perfectly balanced. Worth the effort to make it and I suspect it will be requested often. Thank you for a great recipe! I would probably see about a raspberry sauce next time to add a contrasting flavor as well, but in no way does this recipe need improving. It is perfect.