Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the best! Even people who don't like lemon like these. They melt in your mouth. I don't remember where I got the recipe, but I have been making there or 30 years. I want to post here so that they live on forever.
- Combine butter, flour and powdered sugar n bowl, mix until crumbly.
- Press into ungreased 8-inch square pan.
- Bake 350°F - 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Combine sugar, 2 tbsp flour & baking powder in bowl.
- Add eggs, lemon juice & rind. Mix well.
- Pour evenly over baked, cooled crust.
- Bake 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Top will puff-up while baking but will fall when cooling.
- Cool in pan on rack & cut into 2-inch squares.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Makes 16.
This recipe is the best lemon bar recipe I have found. I love these things. The first time I made them, they came out perfect. I used my kitchen aid mixer to mix the crust and the 1/2 cup of butter was melted. The second time I made these, I just softened the butter and used a wooden spoon to mix the crust instead of the mixer. The crust part turned into a cake batter, so I would suggest melting the 1/2 cup of butter and use your mixer. They still turned out good though. I also had to bake the crust in my oven for 10-13 min for it to even turn slightly golden brown. Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe
My children loved these but i prefer more lemony taste. It tasted more of a shortbread cookie with a hint of lemon topping.
This recipe is a dream! I doubled it and made two pans for a Christmas cookie exchange. I used whole wheat flour and the juice and zest of 2 meyer lemons. Talk about mouth watering! Thank you for sharing this treasure!