Recipe by Kim A. Heaphy
This is a recipe I learned to make in High School. It is simple and Oh! so good! You can use Lemon or Orange to make this recipe and if so desired, you can add blueberries to the Lemon loaf or Cranberries to the Orange loaf for an extra little zing to the desert!
- 5 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 lemon (or orange)
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate the rind off the fruit.
- Grease loaf tin.
- Cream margarine, sugar and egg. Add dry ingredients and milk. Mix well adding grated rind.
- Bake at 350F for 40 to 45 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean.
- When the loaf comes out of the oven, pick it with a few times with the tip of the knife or a tooth pick. Take 1/2 the fruit and squeeze the juice over the cake.
- Make glaze with juice of remaining 1/2 fruit and icing sugar.
- OPTION: you can fold in 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries to Lemon Loaf batter, a little at the time or 1/2 cup frozen or fresh cranberries for the orange loaf.