Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe I learned to make in High School. It is simple and Oh! so good! You can use Lemon or Orange to make this recipe and if so desired, you can add blueberries to the Lemon loaf or Cranberries to the Orange loaf for an extra little zing to the desert!
- 5 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 lemon (or orange)
- 1 pinch salt
- Grate the rind off the fruit.
- Grease loaf tin.
- Cream margarine, sugar and egg. Add dry ingredients and milk. Mix well adding grated rind.
- Bake at 350F for 40 to 45 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean.
- When the loaf comes out of the oven, pick it with a few times with the tip of the knife or a tooth pick. Take 1/2 the fruit and squeeze the juice over the cake.
- Make glaze with juice of remaining 1/2 fruit and icing sugar.
- OPTION: you can fold in 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries to Lemon Loaf batter, a little at the time or 1/2 cup frozen or fresh cranberries for the orange loaf.
I made this as written. It was only ok. It was dryer than I expected and definitely not lemony enough.
Count me in as another one who saw AmandaInOz's photos in this Spring's Pick a Chef thread and just HAD to make it. Thankfully I already had all the ingredients on hand and, oh boy, is it good! I added about 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to the cake batter before baking and it added a nice lemon flavor throughout the cake. The glaze made from lemon juice and powdered sugar also added a wonderful flavor. The consistency of the cake is dense, similar to a pound cake. I will DEFINITELY make this again!!
I fell in love with the photos and just HAD to make it. It was great and devoured within an hour. Thank you