My mum has been making this cake for years, she got it from the 'Easy melt and Mix Cakes' feature in a 1980's Women's Weekly Magazine. Extremely simple and very yummy. The lemon glaze gives it a lovely tartness and the cake is beautiful and moist. You could also top it with a lemon cream cheese icing if you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift flour into a bowl.
- 2Combine milk and eggs in a separate bowl or jug.
- 3Combine butter, lemon rind and sugar in a pan, heat until butter is melted, do not boil.
- 4Stir half the combined beaten eggs and milk with half of the sifted flour, then stir in the remaining egg mixture with the rest of the flour. Beat until smooth.
- 5Pour into a well greased 23cmx12cm loaf tin (9inx5in).
- 6Bake in a moderate oven (160 degrees celcius) for 40 minutes or until a skewer insrted in the middle comes out clean.
- 7Remove from oven and leave cake in the tin.
- 8Combine lemon juice and sugar in a pan over low heat stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved, then bring to the boil briefly.
- 9Prick the top of the cake in several places with a fork and then pour lemon sugar mixture over the top of the cake. (You really need to leave the cake in the tin for this or t gets really messy).
- 10Leave the cake to cool in the tin.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Loaf Cake
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 241.3
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 77.2 mg
- Sodium 85.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 21.1 g
- Protein 3.8 g