Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
My mum has been making this cake for years, she got it from the 'Easy melt and Mix Cakes' feature in a 1980's Women's Weekly Magazine. Extremely simple and very yummy. The lemon glaze gives it a lovely tartness and the cake is beautiful and moist. You could also top it with a lemon cream cheese icing if you like.
- Sift flour into a bowl.
- Combine milk and eggs in a separate bowl or jug.
- Combine butter, lemon rind and sugar in a pan, heat until butter is melted, do not boil.
- Stir half the combined beaten eggs and milk with half of the sifted flour, then stir in the remaining egg mixture with the rest of the flour. Beat until smooth.
- Pour into a well greased 23cmx12cm loaf tin (9inx5in).
- Bake in a moderate oven (160 degrees celcius) for 40 minutes or until a skewer insrted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave cake in the tin.
- Combine lemon juice and sugar in a pan over low heat stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved, then bring to the boil briefly.
- Prick the top of the cake in several places with a fork and then pour lemon sugar mixture over the top of the cake. (You really need to leave the cake in the tin for this or t gets really messy).
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin.