Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This uses cake flour which is not the same as all purpose flour. This cake can be prepared 3 days ahead of time, wrapped tightly and roomed at room temperature. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (October 1984)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel, grated
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter a loaf pan and set aside.
- Using a food processor process the flour, baking powder and salt together for 3 seconds and pour into a bowl and set aside.
- In the food processor process the sugar and lemon peel until peel is minced.
- Add eggs and process for 1 minute.
- Add butter and blend for 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix using 2 on/off turns.
- Run a spatula around the sides mixture and then blend until ingredients are combined using 1 or 2 on/off turns.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then invert on a cooling rack, turning right side up.
- For the icing mix together the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Brush icing over top and sides of cake.
Very good lemon flavour and a lighter texture than other lemon loaves I've tried. It was a nice change and a huge hit with the family- quote, "This lemon loaf rocks!" I poured the glaze over the loaf while still in the pan, after about 5 minutes after it came out of the oven. Then after about 15 minutes I removed the loaf from the pan to cool. That way all of the glaze was soaked up into the cake.
this loaf was very easy to prepare and rose high with a light texture. i would have preferred more of a lemon flavor, next time i might add some lemon juice along with the zest to the batter. the glaze was lovely.