1/1 Photo of Lemon Loaf Cake
1 hr 10 mins
Heather Sullivan's Note:
Found this in one of my old British cookbooks. I make this whenever I have some unwaxed lemons to use up. It has a very strong tangy lemon flavour due to the glaze. It keeps well for 2-3 days wrapped in foil. This cake be frozen after being baked and glazed; thaw in wrap at room temperature.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces softened unsalted butter
- 6 ounces caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- 6 ounces self-raising flour
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 ounces icing sugar, sifted (confectioner's sugar or powdered sugar)
- 1Butter an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch (top measurements) loaf pan well and line with parchment or siliconised baking paper.
- 2Preheat oven to 350F, 180C, gas mark 4.
- 3By hand, cream together the softened butter and caster sugar.
- 4Beat in eggs one at a time then stir in the grated lemon zest.
- 5Gently stir in the flour.
- 6Pour into prepared loaf pan and place in centre of oven to bake for 50-60 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. A slight dip may form in the middle of the loaf but this will not affect texture.
- 7While loaf bakes, make glaze.
- 8To make glaze, you need only 2 tablespoons of the fresh lemon juice to mix into the 2oz of icing sugar. Beat the glaze well so no lumps form.
- 9When fully baked, turn out loaf onto a rack over some waxed paper or pan (to catch glaze drips).
- 10Poke the cake bottom all over with a wooden or metal skewer and brush the cake evenly with glaze.
- 11Turn cake over and repeat for the top until all of the glaze is used up and absorbed by the cake.
- 12Cool on the rack, then serve sliced.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Loaf Cake
Serving Size: 1 (658 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2447.7
- Calories from Fat 929
- Total Fat 103.2 g
- Saturated Fat 61.6 g
- Cholesterol 615.8 mg
- Sodium 2318.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 357.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 227.2 g
- Protein 30.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of