Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have had this recipe for so long I really don't remember who gave it to me. I like to enjoy a small sliver...okay a medium sliver with a cup of tea.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1⁄3 cup melted margarine
- 3 drops lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Mix together the flour,sugar,baking powder,salt and lemon rind in a large bowl.
- Add in milk, slightly beaten egg and margarine and mix.
- Add 2 or 3 drops of lemon juice and mix.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake in preheated oven at 375 for 30-35 minutes.
- Simmer glaze in saucepan for a few minutes to dissolve sugar.
- While loaf is still warm put on dish and poke some holes on top with toothpick. Pour glaze over loaf and enjoy.
Utterly easy with a fine crumb. I did substitute butter for the margarine. It is true that the loaf itself isn't very sweet, but I LIKE that about it; it is a tea loaf, not a dessert cake. The lemon glaze is perfect--a little sweetness that keeps the loaf moist. (I do recommend using a skewer rather than a toothpick for the holes, to get the glaze in deeper.) Pour the glaze quite slowly and carefully so it seeps into the holes rather than pouring off the sides (as it really wants to do :-) ). Finally, I did follow the directions precisely in terms of time and temperature, but clearly the center wasn't totally done because as it was cooling a deep wide crack appeared in the center. Although that did not affect the enjoyment of the loaf at all, iIt did lose one star. I will make this again...and suspect I will be back with another star.
Fantastic! Couldn't be much easier. My lemons were quite juicy so I only used half of one for the glaze. I want to try this recipe next as one reviewer did and use mini muffin pans. And I think I'll add a few poppy seeds.
Boy was this easy to whip up! I just got some mini muffins pans and just HAD to bake something to try them out....had most of the ingredients for this loaf and thought a lemony bread sounded good. Whipped up in 8 minutes flat, baked in 11 minutes as mini muffins and glazed and plattered in 3 minutes! The bread itself wasn't very lemony, but the glaze made it shine through more, though it would have been nice if the bread had been more intense. I might up the lemon rind and juice next time. Thanks for posting!