Recipe by newfie wanna be
This bread is both sweet and tart. Moist inside with a hard crusted top. Can easily be doubled.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
This was a really great-tasting lemon bread. My only change was to use butter, as I don't use shortening. I honestly don't see how anyone could get 3 loaves out of it, unless we're talking miniature pans. This amount barely came halfway up my loaf pan (bread loaf sized), so I'd say you get more like one, good-sized loaf. Liked the texture and bright flavour.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 lemons
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate rind of 2 lemons.
- Squeeze 4 lemons into glass bowl, stir in 1/2 cup sugar till disolved. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Cream shortening in another bowl, beat in 1 cup sugar gradually.
- Add eggs to shortening and beat well. Stir in lemon rind.
- Blend in dry mixture alternately with milk.
- Mix till smooth.
- Pour into greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Test with tooth pick.
- Remove from oven and immediately drizzle lemon/sugar glaze over each loaf.
- Let cool 10 minutes. And remove form pans.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.