1 hr 35 mins
I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. I haven't had a chance to try it, but when I do I will insert some comments. Recipe by Claudia Flemming.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the almond crust
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 6 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 pinch salt
For the lemon-lime souffle filling
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
For the lemon curd
- 1Lemon Curd (makes 2 cups, only use 1 1/2 cups).
- 2In a large heatproof bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar.
- 3Whisk in the lemon zest, juice, and salt.
- 4Place the bowl over a pot of barely simmering water, and gently cook the curd, whisking constantly to avoid scrambling the eggs, until curd thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes (or you can cook over direct heat if you are sufficiently skilled).
- 5Remove the bowl from the heat, and whisk in the butter.
- 6Strain the mixture through a fine sieve, and set the bowl in a large bowl filled with water and ice.
- 7Whisk until cool.
- 8Cover the curd, and refrigerate until it is thoroughly cold, at least 2 hours.
- 9The curd will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- 10Almond Crust.
- 11To make the crust: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and confectioners' sugar until combined, about 1 minute.
- 12Beat in the egg and zest.
- 13In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, almond flour, and salt.
- 14Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in two batches, scraping down the sides of the bowl between additions.
- 15Mix until dough is smooth.
- 16Scrape dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, and form it into a disk.
- 17Chill for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
- 18Make the tart.
- 19Preheat the oven to 325°.
- 20On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a 14-inch round about 1/8 inch thick.
- 21Fit the dough into a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- 22Trim away any excess dough, and use a fork to prick the crust all over.
- 23Bake the tart crust until pale golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 24Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 25(The tart shell can be made 8 hours ahead.) Increase oven temperature to 375°.
- 26To prepare the filling: In the detached bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together 5 tablespoons sugar, egg yolks, flour, lemon juice, and lime juice.
- 27Place the bowl over a pot of gently simmering water, and whisk the mixture constantly to avoid scrambling the eggs.
- 28Continue whisking until mixture gets quite thick, about 8 minutes.
- 29Strain through a fine sieve into the bowl of an electric mixer, if necessary.
- 30Using the whisk attachment, beat the lemon cream on high speed until thick, cool, and light, about 5 minutes.
- 31In a clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks.
- 32Slowly add the remaining 5 tablespoons of sugar, and beat until stiff peaks form, taking care not to overbeat the whites.
- 33Fold a third of the meringue into the lemon cream to lighten it, then fold in the remaining meringue in two batches.
- 34Spread the lemon curd in an even layer into the bottom of the crust.
- 35Spoon the soufflé topping onto the lemon curd, mounding it attractively.
- 36Bake the tart until the soufflé is golden brown and spongy, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 37Dust the top with confectioners' sugar, and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon-Lime Souffle Tart
Serving Size: 1 (1333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3832.8
- Calories from Fat 1743
- Total Fat 193.7 g
- Saturated Fat 105.1 g
- Cholesterol 2687.7 mg
- Sodium 921.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 453.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 274.7 g
- Protein 82.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of