Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe off the internet a while back, but I can't remember which website. It is my favorite way to serve rice. It's simple to prepare, very tasty and turns common rice into a tasty side dish to complement just about any main entree. I've been making it for a long time now, and I find that it goes really well with just about any main dish. But my all-time favorite is to serve it with baked chicken breasts served with a tangy lime sauce. UPDATE....based on feedback, I have worked on improving this recipe. Specifically, I increased the amount of water (from 3 1/2 cups to 4 cups, which I think produces a much fluffier rice. But if you have better luck using more or less liquid when cooking rice, please feel free to adjust the amount of water.
- 2 cups white rice
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herb (such as basil, rosemary, oregano, parsley, cilantro, chives, thyme)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime juice
- Cook rice for 5 minutes in a saucepan with briskly boiling water and butter, stirring once. Cover the pan, turn the heat off, but leave the pan on the burner undisturbed for 15-20 minutes.
- After the rice has absorbed the liquid and is light and fluffy, add the selected herb (or herbs), lemon peel, lime peel, salt, and lime juice. Stir well.
- Serve warm.
What a fantastic way to serve rice! I used chopped parsley for the herb. I cooked my rice in a rice cooker, then melted the butter in a saucepan, added the other ingredients, and stirred in the rice. This was delicious on its own and would complement and not overpower anything you served it with. Enjoyed ours with baked fish for a great meal - thanks for sharing the recipe!
I really loved the flavor in this recipe. I am rice - cooking - challenged, so i just made the rice and stirred in all the flavorings. I used brown rice and it was super delicious.
The texture of the rice was perfect with this method of cooking. But DH found there was not enough taste of lemon or lime. So next time I'll add more. Maybe some chopped garlic in it would be a nice addition. Thanks NorthwestGal :) Made for PAC Spring 2013