Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 9 mins
This is another find from Bon Appetit. This is really good with fresh strawberries as strawberry shortcake...gosh, I wish strawberries were in season again! *cooking times approx*
- 709.77 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 354.88 ml unsalted butter, room temp
- 709.77 ml sugar
- 5 eggs
- 7.39 ml grated lemon peel
- 7.39 ml lime zest
- 177.44 ml carbonated lemon-lime beverage, plus
- 29.58 ml carbonated lemon-lime beverage (about)
- 354.88 ml powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray 12 cup bundt pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk flour and salt in bowl to blend.
- Using an electric mixer ( I use my kitchen aid large bowl mixer) beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time until until combined.
- Add in 1 teaspoon each of lemon and lime peels.
- Beat in flour mixture in 4 additions alternating with 3/4 cup of the lemon lime soda in 3 additions.
- When all combined transfer batter to prepared bundt pan.
- Bake cake until golden on top and tester comes out clean (about 1 hour 15 minutes).
- Cool cake in pan for 5 minutes.
- Turn cake out onto cake rack and cool completely.
- Combine powdered sugar and reserved 1/2 teaspoon each of the lemon and lime peels in a bowl.
- Whisk in enough of the remaining 2 tablespoons of soda to form a thick enough frosting to drizzle over the cake.
Delicious!! Was just gonna post this and here it is! This is a great light flavor dessert. Have been making this for years and here is what we do...and we LOVE it! For a more tangy flavor, I increase the zest in the cake to 1 tablespoon of each for the lemon and lime. I also cut back on the soda and use the juice from one lemon and one lime to make up the difference in volume. Squirt works very well for the soda. Cutting back on the sugar a bit (to 2 1/2 cups) is something I also do. I VERY liberally coat the pan with vegetable spray, then let it cool for up to 10 minutes for easy release from the pan. As for the icing, I use less powdered sugar, (1 cup) add more zest and 1 TBS. each lemon and lime juices to the glaze instead of the soda for a thinner tangy glaze. Let the glaze sit for about 5 minutes before using. Thanks for posting, bmxmama.