Recipe by LorenLou
I got this from a B&B site....credit is given to the Benjamin Prescott Inn. Wonderful, refreshing muffins - good on their own or as part of a brunch menu. Cook time includes cooling time.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 8 ounces lime yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 1⁄2 ounces lime juice, divided (4.5 oz, 2 oz.)
- 2 teaspoons lemons or 2 teaspoons lime peel, grated
- additional granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 24 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat the egg yolks until well blended, and add them to the butter mixture.
- Add the lemon extract and combine.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the lime yogurt with the baking soda and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add it to the egg mixture alternately with 4 1/2 oz.
- of the lime juice, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- Beat the egg whites well, and mix into the other ingredients.
- Add the grated peel.
- Fold in the yogurt mixture last, until thoroughly blended.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool for about 15 minutes, then dip the top of each muffin first in the remaining 2 oz.
- lime juice, followed by granulated sugar.